- What is your name? Christina VanPelt
- What do you do for a living? Just graduated from College in Graphic & Web Design, so job hunting!
- How many people do you/will be living in your tiny house? Just me!
- What part of the country do you live in? Greenville, South Carolina
- How many square feet is your house? Right now, around 240 sqft.
- When did you start your build? July 2014, but camper deconstruction has been ongoing since January 2014
- Is your house complete? Nope!
- Have you been documenting your tiny house build and if so, where can people find that information? Yes! This blog. (:
- Why did you decide to build? Budgeting for a freelance designer life, the appeal of reducing my carbon footprint.
- What was your life like before your tiny house? Were you fairly active, have you always had ‘projects’ going on? Were you fairly sedentary and looking for a change? Did you tend to work too much? I’m an avid DIY-er. I love doing things for myself, whether it’s fixing, upgrading, or creating something.
- How did you come to hear about the movement, figure out it was right for you and and get started? I had seen random pictures on tumblr, but I really didn’t become interested in it until it just so happened that a friend and I walked into one of those “pre-made” sheds/barns outside of Home Depot. Once we walked around in that space, it really was inspiring and I said to myself “hey, this is actually a feasible space to live in.”
Rest of the survey, TBD!
- How do/did you find the time to work on your house with a job, kid(s), relationships, AND building a house? Did you do anything special to keep the balance?
- Have you run into any problems with your local codes? How did you solve them?
- Where did you get the tools that you use? Were they yours, borrowed, rented etc.?
- How long did (are you expecting) construction to take?
- Have you/were you able to stay on schedule?
- What is/was the most time consuming portion of your build?
- What is/was the most limiting factor for your build?
- Is your house on a trailer? If yes, how do you attach to the trailer? How do you move your tiny house? (Do you have a truck, do you hire it done?)
- Do you have accessory houses/dwellings that you use to supplement storage/working/living?
- Where did you get your plans?
- Have you consulted any ‘professionals’? (structural, mechanical, plumbing, design etc.)?
- Are you insuring your house? With who?
- Have you been using any sponsorships to help fund your house? How do you go about finding that sponsorship?
- What sort of items do you have for cooking?
- Are you tied to the power grid or are you off grid?
- Are you going to have a washer and/or dryer?
- Where does your water come from?
- What kind of toilet are you going to have?
- What do you use for a heat source if anything?
- What are some of the space savings tricks you used?
- What do you have for insulation?
- Where are you planning to park your tiny house?
- How much will/did your tiny house cost?
- What is/was the most expensive part of your house?
- ‘Best’ injury story (worst injury)?
- What has been your biggest accomplishment with your tiny house?
- What is/will be the biggest benefit to living in a tiny house?
- Is there anything you’ll miss about living in a standard house? What will you miss the most?
- What has been the scariest part about building your own house?
- If you could change one thing about your house what would it be?
- Did you have cash in hand to complete your build, pay as you go or take out a loan to construct your house?
- Have friends and family been skeptical or supportive of your ideas?
- Is there anything else you would want other people to know about your house and build?
(Form is from Macy at Mini Motives.)