Deconstruction Mega Post

Just for reference, this is what I started with…

My previous post goes into more detail of what was there to start with, so do take a look at that for more info.

And this is what we ended with…

So, altogether, even though the camper was junky, it was very much so intact. Most people I’ve seen dismantle campers start from the inside and go out, which is pretty smart. But for me, that was not an option. I was very concerned about snakes, since I had already spotted one snake skin during my first inspection. I really didn’t want to meet the snake that belonged to that skin, so I decided to work from the outside, in.

Logically, that meant taking out every single bolt that held the outside of the camper together. Here’s  a short Time Lapse I made of taking down ONE window.

The problem with this logic is that it took wayyyy too long. Every other bolt was completely rusted out, and the whole thing would just fight me.

One of the rusted out bolts on my camper

So as I’m sure you’ve figured out, I got very frustrated. I decided that it wasn’t worth the time taking this thing apart carefully, and I wanted to get done with it asap. Everyone kept saying the “fun” part was the deconstruction, but really the “fun” part to me, as an artist, is creation. I wanted to get to construction.

The next process was using a crowbar, which worked fairly well. I got some major arm muscles in a short time, just pushing around on the camper. This part was more satisfying, because I was actually getting results. I started to peel back the camper like a tin can, basically.

Then I found this…

And this sums up my reaction:

SNAKE?!

RUN AWAY

NOPE/DONE

So that slowed me down a bit…

But thankfully my Pops came to the rescue. We went outside and started punching holes anywhere and everywhere we could, trying to get sunlight into the camper because I read that snakes like dark and damp places to stay. We were also trying to make as much noise as possible, hopefully to scare anything away.

Pops getting out some pent up anger (lol)

Our sledgehammer handy work

After this, I gave the critters a couple of days to get the heck out of Dodge. Then I continued with my crowbar deconstruction. But since the snake scare, I figured out using a sledgehammer was quite fun. So I started adding that to the mix. One day, I got really frustrated because I felt like I wasn’t getting anywhere.

So this is the camper at the beginning of the day…

And this is the camper at the end of the day…

HULK SMASH CAMPER

Finally, I called for a Deconstruction Barbeque and Bonfire day with my friends. This is the beardly crew that showed up…

Left to Right: Hannah, Me, Jennifer, and Jason

I had no idea we could accomplish so much in one day. My friends KILLED IT. Literally. That camper was gone by the end of the day.
What made the biggest difference here is the power of a Sawzall! Jason brought his work van with tool in tow, and he used his Sawzall to basically cut apart the remainder of the camper. We went through, cut in big squares, and all of us would haul that off the camper and get started on the next square. It was like slicing up a camper shaped cake. Except cake would have been nicer…

Jason using the Sawzall

After hauling stuff off the camper, making a huge woodpile, and get as much safely apart as we could, the back end of this thing was somehow still standing. But Jeniffer and Jason quickly took care of it…

Definitely watch that video. It’s well worth it.

At the end of the day, my friends helped me the most. I really appreciate them coming out and helping me. I really couldn’t have made it as far as I did without them.
Jennifer has an etsy store that’s listed in my Sponsors now, and Jason owns his own Heating and Air business – no website yet, but I can put you in contact with him if you need anything. Hannah is a freelance Photographer who excels at portraiture, so contact her for any of your photo needs. And each of these people are extremely knowledgeable and excellent in their field. So have no doubts with them.

This is what happens when you have awesome friends…

Up next: Removing the camper subfloor, and sanding & re-painting the frame.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s